Sunday, June 10, 2012

Crostini di Funghi

I hope that you like mushrooms.



It has been awhile since I posted a recipe, so I thought I'd share my recipe for Crostini di Funghi.  I made it for my Tuscan and he couldn't get enough of it!

You start with some mushrooms.  I used baby bellas here, but when I'm in Italy, I use whatever I can find at the market.  (Porcini are to die for, if you can find them!)


Remove the stems and chop them up into medium sized pieces.


Put them in a baking pan (I used a roasting pan here) lined with foil, then drizzle with a good olive oil.  Pop it into an oven that has been preheated to 450°F/230°C and roast them for about 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, grab some fresh sage leaves.


Stack them...


...roll them up tightly and then slice thinly.


You'll end up with tiny little ribbons of sage, which fancy chef-folks call "chiffonade".


When the mushrooms are done, transfer them to a bowl with their juices.


Add the sage.


Take a couple cloves of garlic and chop them up very fine.


Add the garlic and season with some salt and pepper.


Do you have a loaf of Pane Toscano on hand?  If so, this is the perfect bread for crostini.  If not, use a rustic, country style bread, cut it into slices and then toast them.


Spoon the mushroom mixture on top of the warm toasts, drizzle with more olive oil and enjoy!


Here's the recipe in a more "formal" format:

Crostini di Funghi

1 pound (500g) mushrooms, stems removed
approximately 1/2 cup olive oil
4 fresh sage leaves, cut into a chiffonade
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
salt
pepper
Tuscan bread, sliced and toasted

Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.  Chop the mushrooms into medium-sized pieces and place in a baking pan lined with aluminium foil.  Drizzle with about 1/2 of the olive oil (approximately 1/4 cup) and roast for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and transfer to a bowl along with their juices.  While the mushrooms are cooling, cut the sage leaves into a chiffonade.  Add the sage and chopped garlic to the mushrooms and mix.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Spoon over toasts and drizzle with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment